LGBTQ Equality Maps Updates: October 2021
MAP’s interactive LGBTQ Equality Maps provide a comprehensive look at the current state of laws and policies impacting LGBTQ people across the United States. The Equality Maps offer a state-by-state comparison of the policy landscape and gaps in protections for LGBTQ people across the country.
To keep you informed on this regularly changing landscape, here are the updates as of October 2021.
Advances in Local Communities to Prohibit Discrimination
Local cities and communities continue to make advances in securing vital nondiscrimination protections for LGBTQ people.
Comprehensive local-level nondiscrimination ordinances were passed in:
- Wichita, Kansas: Wichita is the largest city in the state, and this new ordinance means 49% of the Kansas population lives in municipalities with LGBTQ-inclusive nondiscrimination ordinances.
- Galion, Ohio: Galion straddles three counties — Crawford, Morrow, and Richland — and it is the first municipality in each of the counties with an LGBTQ-inclusive nondiscrimination ordinance.
- Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
- Dormont, Pennsylvania
- We updated our Equality Maps for LGBTQ-inclusive data collection in the CDC’s Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS) survey of adults and its Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance System (YRBSS) survey of youth.
- We also updated our Equality Maps on LGBTQ school nondiscrimination policies to accurately reflect the states which have issued explicit guidance on the treatment and inclusion of transgender students.
New MAP Report — COVID & the LGBTQI Movement in 2021: Results from the Q2 Pulse Survey
MAP released a report in our ongoing work on the impact of COVID-19 on LGBTQI and allied organizations. This report covers the second quarter of 2021 and illustrates how quickly organizations’ expectations and experiences have changed in just a few short months since the Q1 survey — particularly given new delays or cancellations as a result of the Delta variant, ongoing challenges to staff mental health, and declining confidence in revenue amidst the uncertainty of the pandemic. Access this report and all of our COVID-related content on our COVID-19 topic page.